Monday, April 4, 2011

A Rendezvous with Steve Waugh


I have not yet come out of this Shock..."INDIA WON THE WORLD CUP AFTER 28 YEARS???As it is rightly said," A minute's success pays the failure of years". I remember seeing cricket matches during my 8th std, the 2003 world cup in particular. Apparently that would have been the latest International Cricket match i would have seen before this World Cup Series(2011) .The reason is so obvious. Dada had won the toss and chose fielding which i think was assumed to be the prominent reason for the defeat.Whatever, as a kid all i wanted was India should win the world cup.But that wish had paved way for the greatest disappointment. I remember not eating for a day and refusing to attend the school the next day :D And my teachers were curious to know how the most hyperactive, talkative student seemed to be unusually quiet in the class that too allowing them to take their classes uninterrupted by any serious and silly doubts ( they would have had a peaceful teaching experience for a couple of days at least). I remember...One of my teachers unable to believe her eyes had asked me the reason and burst out with laughter :P After this, i took an oath not to see any cricket match, and yeah i did follow it but for this World cup series...Now again" I am a Cricket fanatic." I remembered this very special moment in my life, when i had won a contest conducted by AMP Sanmar Group for which i was accompanied by the other winners to meet Steve waugh as a token of appreciation and encouragement for us. Although he was an Australian, I was a fan of him. He is the only cricketer i have ever met in person till this date. And...he shook hands with me and asked my name with a sweet smile on his face which ultimately lit up my face too (as if he would remember and pronounce the "Thamizh" name properly if i would bother to ask him, the next time i meet him:P) The remarkable qualities that i noticed and appreciated about him was that he was very humble,casual,ever smiling and friendly(supposed to be the unusual qualities in celebrities).Thanks to God for giving me that rare opportunity! Our School principal had asked for a brief write up describing the occasion(she stressed on the point " brief" !May be she was anxious that i might fill up the entire magazine! :P). Here comes the write up as and how it was published in our School Magazine...very brief indeed (atleast in my context!:D)

" Some of my school mates and I had the great pleasure of meeting the famous Australian Cricket Star, Steve Waugh having won the contest conducted by AMP Sanmar. Our school was the first to arrive at the venue, Taj Coromandal. We were seated in the conference hall, where we saw clippings from cricket matches of yester years.After that the other schools arrived. We were made to register our names.Then came the star of the day, Steve waugh. We were invited to pose our questions to him, for which he answered, crisply and coolly. For one of the questions,"In what way did your brother help you in your career?",his answer was "None" For another question," If not a cricketer what would you have been?" he answered, " I would have been a business man." After this we were overjoyed to have our photographs taken with Steve Waugh. We were also given a T-Shirt bearing his sign and AMP Sanmar logo. We had our refreshments offered by the Hotel. It was more or like a buffet. After the refreshments, we all left rather half halfheartedly. I was very proud and happy to observe that, of all the twenty five schools invited we were not only the most punctual, but also the most well behaved!
-M.Kanmani(VIII B) "

No comments:

Post a Comment